Amy L. Koltnow, a Shareholder, focuses her practice on business, contract and insurance disputes, real estate, trust and probate litigation. From trial through appeals, she has represented individuals and companies in federal and state courts, as well as in arbitration and administrative forums.
A member of The Florida Bar, Ms. Koltnow oversees complex litigation matters and has successfully defended numerous class actions and insurance bad faith cases. She also has handled non-compete cases, partnership and corporate dissolutions, professional negligence claims, complex matters involving statutory interpretations, covenant and lien enforcement issues, foreclosures and collection matters, and enforcement of judgments.
With first-chair jury trial experience in both federal and state trial courts, from pre-suit through final judgment and related appeals, she also has represented clients in administrative proceedings before state and county regulatory boards, administrative law judges, and in arbitration forums.
She is a member of the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance—a national, invitation-only organization committed to furthering high standards of litigation and claims management in pursuit of client defense. Ms. Koltnow is certified by the Florida Division of Insurance Agent and Agency Services as a Continuing Education Instructor in Adjuster Law and Policy.
Formerly an attorney for the U.S. Small Business Administration’s Disaster Assistance Division, she also served five years as an Assistant State Attorney for the State Attorney’s office in Miami-Dade County, Florida, where she was appointed by then-State Attorney Janet Reno.
Prior to joining the Firm in 2005, Ms. Koltnow worked for several prominent South Florida law firms, gaining considerable experience handling complex commercial litigation cases on behalf of individuals and corporations.
In 2004, she was awarded the Child Advocacy Award by the Dade County Bar Association for her pro bono efforts in the South Florida community.
Ms. Koltnow is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida.
She graduated from the University of Florida in 1986 with a Bachelor of Science in Journalism and Communications. She received her Juris Doctor from Stetson University College of Law in 1991.
While in law school, Ms. Koltnow was a member of the Stetson Law Review and Moot Court Board. She was also a member of Stetson’s nationally acclaimed American Bar Association and Association of Trial Lawyers of America mock trial teams. She won numerous state, regional and national accolades and scholarships for excellence in advocacy, including Best Oral Advocate in the state of Florida. Upon graduation, she was awarded the Victor O. Wehle Award for excellence in trial advocacy.
For Stetson, she later served as a Teaching Fellow, instructing law students about the fundamentals of trial practice.
She is a Miami native who is bilingual in Spanish.
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 1991
- University of Florida, B.S., 1986
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- “Colodny Fass Law Firm Creates Executive Committee to Manage Business Development and Expansion,” July 27, 2016
- “U.S. Department of Labor Proposed Rule Could Expand Overtime Law to Nearly 5 Million Americans, May Be Costly to Employers,” July 9, 2015
- “Colodny Fass Litigators File Amicus Brief For Property Casualty Insurers Association of America, Others in Florida Supreme Court ‘Next Door’ Workers’ Compensation Case,” June 18, 2014
- “Colodny Fass Named 2014 South Florida’s Top Insurance Litigation Department of the Year by the Daily Business Review,” April 9, 2014
- Amy Koltnow Named Partner at Colodny Fass, January 2013
- Recipient, “Put Something Back” Pro Bono Project Award, Eleventh Judicial Circuit and Dade County Bar Association, for outstanding pro bono contributions in the field of child advocacy, 2004.
- 2019 – Pincus Professional Education – “Insurance Bad Faith Cases: Litigation from Start to Finish
- 2015 State of the Florida Insurance Market Summit; January 14, 2015; “Controlling the Story through Strategic and Persuasive Deposition Techniques“–Amy L. Koltnow and Kellie Janke (Litigation Consultant, Magna Legal Services)
- 2014 State of the Florida Insurance Market Summit; January 29, 2014; “Effective Use of Social Media, Investigations in Claims Handling & Litigation, It’s No Secret“—Amy L. Koltnow and Maria Abate, Colodny Fass.
- 2013 State of the Florida Insurance Market Summit; January 30, 2013; “Don’t Get Caught With Your Whistle Blown“—Amy L. Koltnow and Maria Abate, Colodny Fass.
- 2012 State of the Florida Insurance Market Summit; March 14, 2012; “Crawling Out of the Litigation ‘Hole’ – An In-Depth Conversation on Sinkholes and Fighting Fraudulent Claims” –Amy L. Koltnow, with Maria Elena Abate
- 2012 State of the Florida Insurance Market Summit; March 14, 2012; “News from the World of Insurance Litigation” –Amy L. Koltnow and Maria Elena Abate, Colodny Fass.
Published Articles and Media Mentions
- Daily Business Review: “Homeowners Repaired Water Damage Before Contacting Their Insurer. They Can’t Recover Under Their Policy.” (published 5/21/18) – An appellate court in Florida ruled that homeowners who repaired water damage to their home before filing a claim with their insurer could not recover their loss under their policy because they had prejudiced their insurer’s ability to investigate the extent of the damage. Amy Koltnow of Colodny Fass represented the appellee.
- “Insurance Regulation Lawyers Colodny Fass Chosen by A.M. Best to Revise Prestigious Florida Insurance Law Digest for Fifth Consecutive Year,” March 29, 2017
- “Colodny Fass Law Firm Creates Executive Committee To Manage Business Development and Expansion,” July 27, 2016.
- “Colodny Fass Litigators Successfully Thwart Statewide Florida Class Action Threatening Insurer’s Option to Repair,” July 6, 2015.
- “Colodny Fass Litigators Obtain Landmark Success on the Sinkhole Warfront,” November 20, 2013
- “Colodny Fass Litigators Successfully Defeat High-Stakes Class Action,” September 11, 2013.
- “Colodny Fass Lawyers Maria Elena Abate and Amy Koltnow Join Council on Litigation Management,” October 19, 2011.
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel (“FORC”) Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Vol. 19 Edition 1, Spring 2008–“Putting a Stop to the Parade of Horribles.” co-authored by Maria Abate and Amy Koltnow. After three long years of claims handling and litigation chaos, the Florida Supreme Court put an end to the havoc wreaked by the 2004 appellate court decision in Mierzwa v. Florida Windstorm Underwriting Ass’n that shifted the burden of paying for non-covered flood damage to homeowner insurance companies.
- The Brief, Winter, 2000; Co-Author of “Practice Tips: Liability of Construction Design Professionals and the Economic Loss Rule” The Florida Supreme Court recently handed a significant victory to consumers in Moransais v. Heathman, agreeing to hold construction professionals such as architects and engineers to the same basic malpractice standard as doctors and lawyers.
- A.M. Best 12th installment of the Insurance Law Podcast; To listen to attorneys Maria Abate and Amy Koltnow from the law firm of Colodny Fass in Florida discuss an important Supreme Court decision favoring major insurance companies, click here.
- United Auto Ins. Co. v. Gables MRA, 997 So.2d 1208 (Fla. 3d DCA 2008).
- O’Grady v. Potash, 861 So.2d 1281 (Fla. 3d DCA 2003).
- Nomo Research, Inc. v. CCL Plastic Packaging, Inc., 862 So.2d 785, 2003 (Fla. 3d DCA 2003).
- Cohen v. Cohen, 813 So.2d 1060 (Fla. 4th DCA 2002).
- Music Associates, Inc. v. Chase Music Associates, Inc., 795 So.2d 284 (Fla. 3d DCA 2001).