Matthew Scarfone, a Shareholder in the litigation division, joined Colodny Fass in 2011. He is an experienced litigator who focuses his practice on insurance matters and commercial litigation.
Mr. Scarfone has built a reputation in the insurance industry for vigilantly fighting fraud, counseling clients on coverage issues, and handling all types of disputes from homeowners’ claims to complex commercial losses, bad faith claims, and class actions. Mr. Scarfone has also frequently represented insurance industry trade groups as amici curiae in appeals involving important issues affecting the insurance industry.
As a commercial litigator, Mr. Scarfone has represented clients across a variety of industries in a wide array of business disputes, ranging from standard breach of contract actions to complex corporate lawsuits and class actions. Mr. Scarfone also has experience counseling employers on best practices and handling employment litigation, including wage and hour disputes, Title VII actions, wrongful termination claims, cases involving non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, and whistleblower claims.
Mr. Scarfone is admitted to practice in all state courts of Florida and Michigan. He is also admitted to the United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Florida, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Mr. Scarfone has handled trials and appeals in both Florida and Michigan. Since
In 2020, he has been recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers.
As a certified Continuing Education Instructor in Adjuster Law and Policy with the Florida Division of Insurance Agent and Agency Services, Mr. Scarfone provides continuing education courses to insurance professionals on issues including statutory compliance, best practices, bad faith, and fraud prevention and detection.
Mr. Scarfone earned his B.A. from Michigan State University in 2007 and his J.D. summa cum laude from the Michigan State University College of Law in 2010. In law school, he was awarded a 100% academic scholarship and won several awards with the MSU College of Law Moot Court Team, including First Place at the Dean Jerome Prince Memorial National Evidence Competition hosted by Brooklyn Law School.
A native of Detroit Michigan, Mr. Scarfone moved to Fort Lauderdale and joined Colodny Fass in 2011. He is committed to the future success of the firm and, above all, to providing effective and trusted counsel to the Firm’s clients.
- Spicer v. Tenet Florida Physician Services, LLC, 149 So. 3d 163 (Fla. 4th DCA 2014)
- Olympus Ins. Co. v. Hernandez, — So. 3d —, 2015 WL 4936474 (Fla. 4th DCA 2015)
- Florida Insurance Market Summit 2023, Florida Property Insurance Litigation and Claims Reform
- APCIA National General Counsel Conference 2021, Catastrophe Claim Fraud – Hot Topics/Emerging Issues
- Latin American Association of Insurance Agents Conference 2021, Up the Creek with both Paddles – Understanding Agent’s Obligations and E&O Exposure in Today’s Economy
- Florida Insurance Market Summit 2020, Emerging Issues for Property Insurance Coverage and Litigation
- Florida Insurance Market Summit 2019, Hurricane Michael: Lessons Learned
- Florida Insurance Market Summit 2018, Hurricane Irma: Lessons Learned
- Florida Insurance Fraud Education Committee 2017, The Eye in the Sky – Using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles to Detect Fraud
- Windstorm Insurance Conference 2017, So Your Windstorm Claim is in a Flood Zone, Now What?
- Florida Insurance Market Summit 2016, Fiddler on the Roof
- Florida Insurance Fraud Education Committee 2016, Fiddler on the Roof
- Florida Insurance Fraud Education Committee 2015, Walking the Line: Fraud Investigations vs. Bad Faith (How Aggressive is Too Aggressive)
- Florida Insurance Market Summit 2015, Don’t Get Caught With Your Whistle Blown: How to Manage Employee Whistleblower Claims Alleging Unfair Claims and/or Trade Practices
Recently Published Articles
- “Changing Tides: Florida’s Latest Property Insurance Bill Builds on a Series of Recent Reforms” by Matthew Scarfone; CLM Magazine, January/February 2023
- “Workers’ Comp Appeals Could Feed Rate Hikes” by Wes Strickland and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, December 8, 2014
- Nonstacking UM Election Applies to All Insureds Under the Policy“ by Maria Elena Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, November 4, 2014
- “First DCA to weigh limits to PIP reimbursement” by Maria Elena Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, May 22, 2013
- “Courts leave insurers with PIP repayment uncertainty“ by Maria Elena Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, April 6, 2012
- “3rd, 4th DCAs hold insurer may limit PIP reimbursements” by Maria E. Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, December 16, 2011
- “Colodny Fass Promotes Insurance Defense Lawyer Matt Scarfone to Partner,” January 16, 2018
- “Colodny Fass Lawyer Matt Scarfone Educates on Insurance Anti-Fraud Drone Use,” June 14, 2017
- “Insurance Regulation Lawyers Colodny Fass Chosen by A.M. Best to Revise Prestigious Florida Insurance Law Digest for Fifth Consecutive Year,” March 29, 2017
- “Florida Insurance Defense Litigator Matt Scarfone Discusses Handling Wind Claims in Flood Zones at 2017 Florida Windstorm Conference,” January 27, 2017
- “Colodny Fass Litigator Matt Scarfone Warns Consumers on Assignment of Benefits Pitfalls,” December 2015
- Matthew Scarfone provides expert opinion on AOBs to local news station WPLG, Local 10 News; December 7, 2015 (With Video)
- Quoted in “Attorneys React To U.S. Department of Labor Misclassification Guidance”; Law360.com; July 16, 2015