Matthew C. Scarfone, a Partner in the Colodny Fass Litigation Division, focuses his practice on insurance defense and complex commercial matters.
As a litigator, he has experience in both jury and bench trials, as well as appeals.
He handles a variety of insurance matters, including first-party property insurance litigation, liability insurance coverage opinions, bad faith, and fraud investigations. He has substantial experience representing insurance carriers in sinkhole litigation and other property insurance matters throughout the state. He also regularly represents insurance industry trade groups as amici curiae in appeals involving important issues affecting the insurance industry.
Mr. Scarfone also represents corporate clients and individuals in a variety of commercial matters, from standard breach of contract matters to complex corporate disputes.
As a member of Colodny Fass’ Employment Law team, he handles wage and hour claims, Title VII, wrongful termination, whistleblower claims and related matters, and advises clients on compliance issues and best practices.
A member of the Florida Bar and also licensed in the State of Michigan, Mr. Scarfone is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida. He is also certified by the Florida Division of Insurance Agent and Agency Services as a Continuing Education Instructor in Adjuster Law and Policy.
Mr. Scarfone earned his Juris Doctor, summa cum laude from the Michigan State University College of Law.
He is a native of Detroit, Michigan
- Spicer v. Tenet Florida Physician Services, LLC, 149 So. 3d 163 (Fla. 4th DCA 2014)
- Olympus Ins. Co. v. Hernandez, — So. 3d —, 2015 WL 4936474 (Fla. 4th DCA 2015)
- Florida Insurance Fraud Education Conference; 2015
- Florida State of the Insurance Market Summit “How to Manage Employee Whistleblower Claims Alleging Unfair Claims and/or Trade Practices”; 2014
Recently Published Articles
- “Workers’ Comp Appeals Could Feed Rate Hikes” by Wes Strickland and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, December 8, 2014
- Nonstacking UM Election Applies to All Insureds Under the Policy“ by Maria Elena Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, November 4, 2014
- “First DCA to weigh limits to PIP reimbursement” by Maria Elena Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, May 22, 2013
- “Courts leave insurers with PIP repayment uncertainty“ by Maria Elena Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, April 6, 2012
- “3rd, 4th DCAs hold insurer may limit PIP reimbursements” by Maria E. Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, December 16, 2011
- “Colodny Fass Promotes Insurance Defense Lawyer Matt Scarfone to Partner,” January 16, 2018
- “Colodny Fass Lawyer Matt Scarfone Educates on Insurance Anti-Fraud Drone Use,” June 14, 2017
- “Insurance Regulation Lawyers Colodny Fass Chosen by A.M. Best to Revise Prestigious Florida Insurance Law Digest for Fifth Consecutive Year,” March 29, 2017
- “Florida Insurance Defense Litigator Matt Scarfone Discusses Handling Wind Claims in Flood Zones at 2017 Florida Windstorm Conference,” January 27, 2017
- “Colodny Fass Litigator Matt Scarfone Warns Consumers on Assignment of Benefits Pitfalls,” December 2015
- Matthew Scarfone provides expert opinion on AOBs to local news station WPLG, Local 10 News; December 7, 2015 (With Video)
- Quoted in “Attorneys React To U.S. Department of Labor Misclassification Guidance”; Law360.com; July 16, 2015