Mike Colodny, the founder of Colodny Fass, has more than 40 years of legal experience representing national corporations, banking institutions and insurance companies in corporate matters, insurance regulatory work and lobbying before government agencies and quasi-judicial public boards and commissions. He is ranked by Chambers & Partners as one of Florida’s top insurance lawyers.
Mr. Colodny formerly served as General Counsel for the Florida Residential Property and Casualty Joint Underwriting Association and its successor, Citizens Property Insurance Corporation, for which he was instrumental in negotiating several billion dollars in catastrophe claims funding, thereby assuring the State-run insurer’s ability to serve policyholders in the wake of a major hurricane.
His experience and renown in the insurance industry was a key factor in his being named to National Underwriter Magazine’s Statewide Editorial Advisory Board on the Florida insurance market.
Throughout his career, Mr. Colodny has been active in the community and has held many public offices. He served as City Councilman and four-term Mayor of the City of North Miami, attorney for the President of the Florida Senate, City Attorney for the Town of Golden Beach and Special Counsel for the City of South Miami. His dedication to civic matters has earned him numerous awards and recognitions from community and civic organizations, including the Carrie Meek Award for his efforts to promote community education in Miami-Dade County by the Miami-Dade County Coalition for Community Education of Miami-Dade County Public Schools.
He has been involved in numerous civic and service organizations, including Broward Days, which he currently serves as Chairman, as well as the North Miami Chamber of Commerce, which he led as President.
He has also served in leadership roles with the United States Conference of Mayors; the Mayor’s Economic Task Force; the Miami-Dade County Mayor’s Task Force on Community Affairs; Villa Maria Convalescent Home and Visions for Victory. In 2008, he was elected Chairman of the Joseph Meyerhoff Senior Center.
Mr. Colodny is licensed to practice law in various state and federal trial and appellate courts. He is a member of the Florida Bar, the Broward County Bar Association, the Dade County Bar Association and the Florida Association of Professional Lobbyists.
Mr. Colodny, who has attained the highest rating of “AV” by Martindale Hubbell, has been named as a “Key Partner” by South Florida Business Journal and as a Florida Super Lawyer over multiple years, most recently in 2014.
Most recently, he was named as a “Leader in Law” by South Florida Business and Wealth Magazine.
He received his Bachelor’s Degree and Juris Doctor from the University of Florida in Gainesville, where he was recognized by election to Florida Blue Key, the University of Florida Hall of Fame and Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities.
Civic and Community Involvement
- Former four-term Mayor, City of North Miami
- City of North Miami City Commission
- Attorney for the President of the Florida Senate
- Former City Attorney, Town of Golden Beach
- Former Special Counsel, City of South Miami
- Past President, North Miami Chamber of Commerce
- Villa Maria Convalescent Home Board of Directors
- Visions for Victory Board of Directors
- Broward Days, Chairman (2013–Current)
- Chairman of the Board, Joseph Meyerhoff Senior Center
- 2019 South Florida Legal Guide “Top Lawyer”
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Carrie Meek Award by the Miami-Dade County Coalition for Community Education of Miami-Dade County Public Schools.
- Appointed to the Miami-Dade Mayor’s Economic Task Force
- Appointed to Miami-Dade County Mayor’s Task Force on Community Affairs
- Florida Blue Key Society
- The University of Florida Hall of Fame
- Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
- Florida Super Lawyer (2007-2008, 2012-2013, 2018)
- South Florida Legal Guide – Top Lawyer (2013-2014)
- South Florida Business Journal Key Partner, 2006
- 2008 Florida Office of Insurance Regulation Filing and Compliance Symposium, May 2008
- American Conference Institute Reinsurance Bootcamp, Jan. 2008
- State of the Florida Insurance Market Summit, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
- Standard & Poor’s 23rd Annual Insurance Conference, Jun. 2007
Published Articles and Media Mentions
- “Corporate Transaction Lawyers Colodny Fass Law Handle Complex Cross-Border Driver’s License Testing Software Company Acquisition” BusinessWire; February 14, 2018.
- “Colodny Fass Law Firm Creates Executive Committee To Manage Business Development and Expansion,” July 27, 2016.
- “Florida Corporate Lawyer Mike Colodny Named ‘Power Leader in Banking’ by South Florida Business Journal for Second Consecutive Year,” July 31, 2015.
- “Chambers Ranks Colodny Fass Among Florida’s Foremost Insurance Firms, Insurance Lawyers,” July 16, 2015.
- “Colodny Fass Law Firm Grows to Broward Commerce Hub,” June 1, 2015.
- “Colodny Fass Insurance Lawyer Mike Colodny Named a ‘Leader in Law’ by South Florida Business & Wealth Magazine” May 1, 2015.
- “Mike Colodny Named Managing Partner of Colodny Fass,” May 15, 2015.
- “At 40-Year Mark, Streamlined New Name for Colodny Fass,” October 27, 2014.
- “Broward Days Chairman Mike Colodny Issues First Official Debate Invitation to Florida Democratic Governor’s Candidates Charlie Crist, Nan Rich” South Florida Sun-Sentinel; December 20, 2013
- “Colodny Fass Shareholders Recognized as 2013 Florida Super Lawyers,” June 7, 2013.
- “Colodny Fass’ Mike Colodny and Katherine Webb Ranked Among Top Lawyers in Chambers USA 2012,” June 12, 2012.
- “Colodny Fass Named Among South Florida’s Top 10 Title Insurance Agencies,” June 12, 2012.
- “Colodny Fass Shareholders Named to Florida Super Lawyers 2011 List,” July 6, 2011.
- “Colodny Fass Managing Partner Mike Colodny Ranked Among Top Lawyers in Chambers USA 2011,” June 22, 2011.
- “Is Florida at the Portal of a Stronger Insurance Market?” Mike Colodny authors inaugural Editorial Advisory Board Column, Florida Underwriter, September 17, 2010.
- “Reactions Magazine Names Colodny Fass In Top Two U.S. Insurance Regulatory Law Firms for Third Consecutive Year,” June 21, 2010.
- “Florida Regulators Found a White Knight in Ascendant Insurance” Mike Colodny in the Miami Herald, November 2, 2009.
- “New Insurer Ascendant to Rescue First Commercial Insureds, Jobs in Florida” Mike Colodny in the Insurance Journal, September 4, 2009.
- “New Firm to Cover Most First Commercial Insurance Policyholders” Mike Colodny in The Miami Herald, September 4, 2009.
- “We have reinsurance that’s going to deliver.” Mike Colodny in the St. Petersburg Times, December 15, 2008.
- “Florida Property & Casualty Association Seeks Fairness in Tower Hill FHCF Petition Intervention” Insurance Journal, December 10, 2008.
- “Colodny Fass Named In Top Two U.S. Insurance Regulatory Firms by International Magazine,” June 12, 2008.
- “Attorney puts together funding for two insurers“ Colodny Fass attorneys Mike Colodny and Sandy Fay assisted in securing $16.5 million and $7 million loans from Florida’s Insurance Capital Build-Up Incentive Program. Daily Business Review, July 18, 2007.