Florida’s 2009 Regular Legislative Session: Comprehensive Summary
May 13, 2009
Dozens of insurance-related bills were filed during Florida’s 2009 Regular Legislative Session. These bills were distilled down to a select group of passed bills, most of which were addressed during the last couple days of the Session.
Colodny Fass has compiled a comprehensive report regarding the Session’s activities, including summaries of the significant passed and failed insurance-related bills.
The report is attached for your review and the bills summarized are set forth below:
1. Summaries of successful major 2009 insurance legislation:
Property and Casualty Insurance
- CS/CS/CS/HB 1495 relating to Property Casualty Insurance (the “Omnibus Property Insurance Bill”)
- CS/CS/CS/HB 569 Relating to Financial Instruments (includes the FHCF)
- CS/SB 742 relating Sinkhole Mitigation
- CS/CS/HB 1171 relating to Residential Property Insurance Policies (Non-Assessable Residential Property Insurance Policies
Miscellaneous Insurance Issues
- CS/CS/SB 714 relating to Condominium Associations
- HB 741 relating to Insurance Premium Financing
- CS/HB 853 relating to Surplus Lines Insurer
- CS/CS/HB 845 relating to Self-Insurance Funds
- HB 7039 relating to Open Government Sunset Review /Insurance Claim Data Exchange Information
- CS/CS/HB 453 relating to Tax Credits for Contributions to Nonprofit Scholarship-Funding Organizations (Insurance Premium Tax)
- CS/HB 903 relating to Attorney’s Fees in Workers’ Compensation Cases
- CS/CS/SB 2252 relating to Professional Liability Claims
- CS/SB 2282 relating to First-Responder Services (“Accident Tax Fees”)
2. Summaries of failed major 2009 insurance legislation:
- HB 1157/1159 relating to Property Insurance (Statewide Windpool)
- CS/CS/SB 1372 relating to Annuities (the “Safeguard Our Seniors Act”)
For additional information on Florida’s legislative process and terminology, click here.
Should you have any questions or comments, please contact Colodny Fass.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com