Capitol to Courthouse Florida Insurance Report: Tuesday, September 18
Sep 18, 2012
To go directly to the section of your choice, click on a hyperlink below. Other hyperlinks to meeting information, bills and news are noted in bold type.
9:00 a.m.–Florida Cabinet meeting. To view the complete agenda, click here.
- Florida Office of Financial Regulation (“OFR”)
- For final adoption
- Proposed amendments to Rule 69V-160.025, entitled “Property Insurance on Loans,” would delete subsection 11, because the OFR lacks statutory authority to require licensees under the act to display the rules governing insurance on household goods and appliances. To view the hearing notice, click here.
- For final adoption
- State Board of Administration/Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund (“FHCF”)
- Obtain approval to file Rule 19-8.010 pertaining to the FHCF Reimbursement Contract for Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and for adoption if no member of the public requests a hearing in a timely manner; or, if a hearing is requested, no changes need to be made.
- Address and take action on the need for FHCF liquidity, and to request that the FHCF Finance Corporation engage in financial transactions to provide sufficient funds to achieve the purposes of Section 215.555, F.S.
- NOTE: A meeting of the FHCF Finance Corporation Board of Directors is scheduled upon conclusion of the Cabinet meeting. To view the meeting notice, click here.
Barry Gilway, a former insurance company executive from Maryland, talks about the switch to a public company, the need for higher rates and the need to communicate that to the public.
Kingsway Financial Services Inc. today announced that it is restructuring its Insurance Services and Insurance Underwriting segments.
Rising earnings estimates on the back of strong second-quarter results, including a 23.3% earnings surprise, helped Homeowners Choice, Inc. achieve a Zacks #1 Rank on September 11.
A tractor was literally swallowed by a sinkhole in Titusville on Monday.
When fish are swimming in your front yard, that is not a good thing.
The Florida Climate Institute is expanding.
A doctor suing Dollar Rent a Car says he and other consumers have been charged for services they specifically declined.
Florida’s pension chief says that the state may need to increase the amount of money it puts into the state’s massive retirement fund – and ratchet down expectations on how much it expects to make off investments in the coming year.
A state representative who lost a Democratic primary election for the Florida Senate District 27 seat by 17 votes will appeal a judge’s rejection of his challenge, the candidates’ lawyer said Monday.
Florida legislators designed a redistricting plan to favor “insiders” — among them, former Republican state Reresentative Bill Galvano — and to provide a backdoor way for another to win the state Senate presidency, a lawsuit alleges.
When they go to vote for president on Election Day, Florida voters are likely to find something funny about their ballots.
The 2014 governor’s race is already attracting attention.
Governor Rick Scott says $850,000 in grants will be awarded to 11 Florida communities with military installations.
Governor Rick Scott this month asked federal officials to declare a fishery disaster in Apalachicola Bay because of declining oyster populations that put 2,500 seafood worker jobs at risk.
Govenor Jerry Brown is expected to authorize extensive changes to California’s $16.2 billion workers’ compensation insurance system during bill-signing ceremonies Tuesday with business and labor leaders.
Louisiana’s insurance company of last resort agreed on September 13 to settle two remaining class-action lawsuits tied to claims handled after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
Louisiana’s property insurer of last resort says Hurricane Isaac has resulted in over 13,000 claims and they expect more to come.
Jerry Wiseman notices it’s harder to turn and check his car’s blind spots at age 69 than it was at 50.
Should you have any questions or comments, please contact Colodny Fass& Webb.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please send an email to Brooke Ellis at email@example.com.