ContactSouth Florida Office
One Financial Plaza, 23rd Floor
100 Southeast Third Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33394
(954) 492-4010 (tel)
(954) 492-1144 (fax)
(954) 492-4010 x1925
Jennifer C. Erdelyi
Direct Dial: (954) 332-1768
Jennifer C. Erdelyi, Of Counsel to the Firm’s Insurance Regulatory Law and Corporate Transactional Divisions, regularly assists clients with a broad array of insurance-related compliance matters related to licensure, reporting requirements, financial examinations, solvency and receivership, investment, and market conduct issues. Her client representation has included drafting of producer and other agreements, provision of legal memoranda, and participating in administrative law proceedings, including rulemaking hearings and agency actions.
Ms. Erdelyi’s insurance regulatory practice includes a focus on compliance matters that are unique to the surplus lines industry, in which she has developed considerable knowledge related to the federal Nonadmitted and Reinsurance Reform Act, along with pertinent case law related to nonadmitted insurance. This insight enables her to provide extensive analysis and guidance to clients on issues related to the placement and taxation of surplus lines insurance.
On behalf of clients, she interacts with state insurance regulators and other officials, leaders of industry trade groups, as well as the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Further, Ms. Erdelyi has written on topics related to certain tax aspects of multi-state surplus lines insurance policies, matters related to the creation and role of the Federal Insurance Office, and the U.S. insurance regulatory system.
In addition to her regulatory work, Ms. Erdelyi regularly represents clients in diverse industries with respect to corporate matters, including business entity formation, drafting and review of corporate documents such as operating and shareholder agreements, bylaws, and employment and non-competition agreements. She also assists with due diligence and commercial transactions.
Ms. Erdelyi’s experience with commercial transactions includes the following engagements:
- Participation in the drafting of credit agreements, security agreements, promissory notes and related documents to facilitate the closing of a $70 million secured line of credit with multiple tranches on behalf of an insurance company with operations in multiple jurisdictions
- Participation in the drafting of loan documents and discussions with a bank’s counsel to facilitate the closing of an $18 million line of credit on behalf of a grower and distributor of flowers.
Among other transactional documents, drafting of letters of intent, purchase and sale agreements, promissory notes, subscription agreements, security agreements, guaranty agreements, participation agreements, she facilitated the closings of:
- A $2 million acquisition of 50 percent of the stock of an insurance agency
- $750,000 acquisition of membership interest in a software company
- $500,000 purchase of shares of stock of an insurance agency
- A client's multiple purchases of several motorcycle dealerships and related assets, including commercial real estate.
Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Erdelyi worked for a New York-based class action administration company and as counsel to a commercial real estate brokerage.
A member of the Florida Bar, Ms. Erdelyi is admitted to practice in all Florida trial and appellate courts. She also is a member of the Florida Bar 17th Circuit Grievance Committee "B,” the Stephen R. Booher American Inn of Court, and serves on the Board of Directors of the Broward County Women Lawyers' Association
Ms. Erdelyi earned her Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad Law Center. As a Goodwin Scholar, she was the recipient of a Dean's Merit Scholarship and earned Dean's List honors during all semesters. She served as Technical Editor of the Nova Law Review and was awarded book awards for the highest grade in four classes. During law school, Ms. Erdelyi also served as a research assistant in Nova's Lawyering Skills and Values program.
Her writing credits include: "1031 Tenant in Common Exchanges: A 'TIC' king Time Bomb at the Intersection of Real Estate, Securities and Tax Law," published in the University of Miami Business Law Review, and "The Extraterritorial Application of the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act," published in the Nova Law Review.
Prior to earning her law degree, Ms. Erdelyi gained valuable business and governmental experience by working with an elected official in New York, as well as in various marketing and management roles.
Originally from Long Island, New York, Ms. Erdelyi graduated from Rutgers College with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communication. She also studied Italian language, literature, culture and history through Rutgers' summer abroad program at Università di Urbino in Urbino, Italy.
In her South Florida community, she serves as president of her homeowners association and is on the Board of Trustees of the Fort Lauderdale Children's Theatre.
- Insurance Regulatory Law
- Commercial Transactions
- Corporate Matters
- Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad Law Center, J.D., 2005, magna cum laude
- Rutgers College, B.A., 1990
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Bar
- Florida Bar 17th Circuit Grievance Committee "B" Member
- Broward County Bar Association
- Broward County Women Lawyers’ Association Board of Directors
- Stephen R. Booher American Inn of Court
Civic and Community Involvement
- President, The Meadows Maintenance Association, Inc. (Homeowners' Association)
- Board of Trustees, Fort Lauderdale Children’s Theatre
- Volunteer Attorney Representing Children in Foster Care, Tracey McPharlin Dependency Pro Bono Project
- “For the Public Good” Committee Member, Legal Aid Services of Broward County
Awards and Honors
- Named Broward Lawyers Care March 2013 Attorney of the Month
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers–Rising Stars Edition 2010
Recently Published Articles and Media Appearances
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers (FAWL) Journal; Spring 2014; "Florida Supreme Court Creates Professionalism Panels to Encourage Resolution of Complaints and Educate Attorneys" by Jennifer C. Erdelyi and Stacy M. Schwartz
- Jennifer C. Erdelyi featured in May 2013 Broward County Bar Association Barrister magazine: "Broward Lawyers Care Attorney of the Month" for March.
- Best's Review; February 2013: "A Taxing Conundrum" by Jennifer C. Erdelyi and others.
- AAMGA Wholesale Insurance News; Summer 2012; “State Taxation of Non-U.S. Risk Premium -- An Unintended Consequence of the Nonadmitted and Reinsurance Reform Act?” by Jennifer Erdelyi and others.
- Florida Underwriter; April 2009; "Decison Time For Credit Scoring," by Jennifer C. Erdelyi and others.
- University of Miami Business Law Review; Spring/Summer 2006; "1031 Tenant in Common Exchanges: A 'TIC'king Time Bomb at the Intersection of Real Estate, Securities and Tax Law" (co-authored with NSU Professor Marilyn Cane)
- Nova Law Review; Spring 2004; "The Extraterritorial Application of the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act."